My New York City Bucket List
By WanderlustStuff Founder Leesa Beeson
I've spent countless days in NYC - both on layovers with my job as a Flight Attendant and on many leisure trips. It's my favorite city in North America. I love the energy in New York City, you can actually feel it vibrating THROUGH you when you are there! Museums, shops, restaurants, Broadway - I can never get enough of everything the city has to offer. It's truly (as Alicia Keys sings): a "concrete jungle where dreams are made of"!
In the hundreds of different days I have spent in the Big Apple - I'm passing on what I think is a solid bucket list for any trip to New York. Of course there's no way these could all be done in a single trip... BUT! If you have never been, this list might be a great place to start. Hit me up if you ever have questions about places to eat, shop or stay - I have lots of recommendations. The photos were all taken by me. Enjoy!
- Central Park - any season, its a must see. Hundreds of artists and musicians line the walkways, horse-drawn carriages take you past sights like the Boathouse restaurant or Tavern on the Green (PS eat at both if you get a chance - amazing!) Check out Strawberry Fields with dedication to John Lennon - its a moving sight, a sight of hope actually!
Times Square - I mean, how can you not!
- Visit 9/11 Memorial and One Observatory (here is the view from the top!)
Shop on 5th Avenue with a stop at the LOVE monument!
- Catch a Broadway Show (I'm a broadway FANATIC, have been since I was 12 and saw Cats). I collect Broadway Music posters, some even signed by cast and crew! I've seen over 30 broadway shows to date. (Here with my 2 sisters and niece catching Mamma Mia right before it closed on Broadway for good!)
- Do the top of the Empire State Building or Rockefeller Center
- Grand Central Terminal- must do!
- Museum of Modern Art - we sell their product if you didn't know that!
- Walk the High Line - must do!
- Tour Radio City Music Hall - do the backstage pass and meet the rockettes. The day I did this show I watched an Americas Got Talent Rehearsal and learned about a wonderful music ensemble called Sons of Serendip. Their version of Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" that day was so beautiful and moving and now I am a huge fan. Check them out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uervawXP5HY
Breakfast at Tiffany’s - must do!
- Watch Shakespeare in Bryant Park
- Walk Greenwich Village and Soho for shopping
- Visit the famous New York Public Library
- Stay in an authentic Brownstone on Lexington Avenue with this as your patio view. True blue New York!
- Sing BAD karaoke at Tonics Bar in Times Square and promptly leave
- And of course, if you go over the Holiday season, go to the Rockefeller Christmas Tree!
- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and explore Brooklyn - so worth it - true NYC!
- Catch a rehearsal of the Tonight Show- Jimmy Fallon - better than being in the audience for the actual show!
- Wall Street - feel the vibe!
- Statue of Liberty
- Visit Governors Island
- Watch a game at Yankee Stadium
- Ride the State Island Ferry
- Chelsea Food Market
- Get into a Speakeasy like "Please Don't Tell"
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
I hope these help in your NYC trip planning! I have lots of recommendations for hotels, restaurants and bars so please reach out.